WHO ARE WE?
iCARE is a small local charity, based in Green Street Green, Orpington, providing rehabilitative care to people who have had a stroke. We have been in existence for over 30 years running a day centre in the Old School House for up to 20 people a day, five days a week.
WHAT WE CAN DO FOR YOU
Clients typically come to the centre for one day a week between about 9.30am to 3.30pm and are involved in a varied programme of activities at the centre including
- regular speech therapy and physiotherapy, both guided by professional therapists
- activities to help improve communication skills
- games like skittles, bowls and golf to improve mobility
- quizzes and competitions for mental stimulation
- art and craft
Strokes affect everyone differently and we therefore work in a client centred way, looking at what each individual needs. For example:
- different days of the week have different emphasis and clients are offered the day which best serves their needs; and
- our professional speech therapist and physiotherapist assess each new client to see what will help them most; their individual programmes are then tailored accordingly.
Stroke survivors can become isolated, so the social interaction within the group each day is an important component of rehabilitation. Clients are able to share experiences and find mutual support and friendship.
ICARE also has the One Step Forward Club on two afternoons a month for clients and their carers. This is a social time with a programme including speakers and an annual outing.